In any season grass growth will be variable and this has implications for performance from grazing. Over-estimating milk yield from grazing can lead to reduced energy intakes and excessive body condition loss. In many cases, problems with cows failing to perform in the early winter can be traced back to condition loss in the summer. NWF Feed Sales Specialists have a tool that allows us to estimate the milk production that is possible to be achieved, depending on the dry matter of the grass and hours available for the cows to graze.
Taking this into account NWF formulates compounds that are better suited to feeding alongside grass, ensuring that the cows receive the correct level of nutrients. Typically what we see out at grass is forage of 21% crude protein, 18% dry matter and low levels of digestible fibre dependant upon the time of year. In account of this we produce a range of compounds that are lower in protein and higher in digestible fibre.
NWF Gold Graze Compound Feed Range
Maximising grazed grass and home grown forage is key in the spring and summer months. Grazed grass is the cheapest feed to produce milk, however to maximise the utilisation of grazing it is worth considering suitable nutrient supplementation. NWF have formulated a Gold Graze compound feed range, which provides the essential nutrients required for rumen production, cow health, performance and fertility during the summer months.
- Good Quality by pass protein sources
- Good level of by pass starch
- Highly digestible fibre
- High in glucogenic nutrients which have a positive effect on milk yield, milk proteins and bulling activity
- Efficient feeding alongside grass
- Good palatability
Grazed grass is the most cost effective way to generate milk yield during the summer months, and the standard values of realistic performance are summarised as follows:-
Gold Graze Compound Feed Range
The summer compound feed range also includes additional diets to suit all systems.
- HDF Octane 18 & 16 – High energy diet featuring a variety of highly digestible fibre sources
- Milkline 21, 19, 17 & 15 – A sugar beet based, high NDF diet ideal for balancing grazing
- Superyield 18, 16 & 14 - A traditional grazing cake high in digestible fibre sources
- Distinction 17 – A cost effective SBP based ration that will fit well alongside balanced grazing
- Select 20, 18, 16 & 14 – A cost effective grazing diet containing high levels of crude fibre and NDF
Click here to view further information on the NWF Gold Graze Range
Enquiries: 0800 756 2787
Orders: 0800 262 397
Tel: 01829 261155
Fax: 01829 260061
Post: NWF Agriculture Ltd, Wardle, Nantwich, Cheshire, CW5 6AQ